Monday, February 27, 2012

MEDIA

Okay, so as promised, I want to explain Robert Lobetta's impact on me this last week at Paul Mitchell's annual CAPER event. His presentation was basically about not letting the outside noise of others drown out your inner voice and intuition and being true to who you are in whatever you do. His approach, of coarse, was directed toward the trade of hairdressing. I saw a deeper, more meaningful side to his inspiring words. I thought about my blog, and the purpose of it. I think what I really want, is to connect with my soul; be it a God-given spirit, a subconsciousness, or a Jiminy Cricket. If it is the spiritual side to my being, then it is the beautiful side to my existence. I saw this so called "intuition" Robert spoke of to be the seemingly God-given, and naturally & artistically inspired part to any creative being. What I am starting to believe is that inside of each being, a beautiful, clear, perfectly unique voice speaks... and we tend to rarely here it. I am not referring to any type of devil or angel standing shoulder-side, despite my reference to Jiminy Cricket. I am more referring to a creative voice whose mission is to make life more beautiful and enjoyable; the innate desire to create that comes pre-packaged with every human body. For example, before a child can speak, they can be found stacking blocks or scribbling different colors together; as this desire matures and transforms it turns into something like Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural masterpiece, "Falling Water". This is the inner-voice I am referring to.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water, 1935.
Now, I figure, if this voice is inside of me (and I truly believe it is), how do I find it and connect with it? The answer came from Robert Lobetta... CUT OUT THE OUTSIDE NOISE. Not an easy task, but I acknowledge and accept his advice. His words were not limited to this message, as he then shared a short film that he had made. I felt the film was the start to a new movement that could, quite likely, revolutionize the hair industry. Titled "Fallen", the film takes avant-garde hairstyles and blends them into some kind of artistic, intensely emotional, new media super-power shake. I was blown away by how he was able to communicate the emotional side of a haircut, color, and style. His purpose may have been different in making this film, but I fell in love with this idea. Here is his film:




Upon watching this film a few times after I had returned from Las Vegas, I was starving... starving for more inspiration; something that speaks to my soul, something that makes me think differently... so I started really digging into youtube, to find something that drowns out all of the dirty media noise I sometimes get use to hearing, and to find some revolutionary media music that fills my creative cup. Soon, I was able to find some truly, beautiful uses for the technology society has developed. Below is one of the most inspiring, powerful, emotional short films I was able to stumble upon. Please, turn up the volume and watch with an open mind, and allow it to speak to you rather than being skeptical and analytical. 



One of the comments I read below this video read, "Watching things like this make me wonder what I've been wasting my life doing." I wondered the same. How much time do I end up wasting on dirty, outside noise? What amazing songs have I not heard? What beautiful art have I not seen? What creations am I missing out on? Basically, what inspiration is just floating around, waiting to be found, that I am missing out on because of wasted time and pointless distractions? Now... I do believe in finding an inner-voice that is independent of these inspirations, but the realization has really become an amplified one, that my quality of life and my life experience revolves highly around what I take in and allow into my life. Like the insightful "youtuber", I wonder what have I been wasting my life doing. My new goal is no more wasted life. There is too much out there to let it go to waste. I'm only welcoming beauty from now on, and always keeping an eye out for new perspectives. This year will be a well-lived one, full of growth and new experiences. If a minute is unintentionally wasted, I plan on making it up with an hour of well-lived life. 

2 comments:

  1. great post man.... i have been feeling very similar things pertaining to my path and the direction i am headed. regardless of our location i believe we truly have it in us to create useful and meaningful things. my question to you is.... when do we start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I say we start brainstorming right now!

      Delete